Re: Newbie first-time install advice: Highpoint Rocket 133SB

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 08:32:38PM -0400, David Witbrodt wrote:
> > DHCP means that you don't need to enter your IP address. Dynamic Host
> > Configuration Protocol makes things MUCH easier.  Even a total newbie
> > should know how to turn the computer off when the install doesn't work :)
>
>   Yes, this newbie knows that much.
>   What I don't know is how to alter the installation configuration if it
> can't figure out how to handle my DSL connection.  If the HILUX update
> CDs don't work, I will give the Sarge netinst CD a try.
>   If you know something about using DSL with this particular modem
> (SpeedStream 5100b), and can warn me about problems I will face if I try
> to use the netinst CD, then that info would be very helpful.  Otherwise,
> I can't ask for anything more specific until I try it... assuming I have
> problems, that is!
>
>   My understanding of DHCP is that it is a networking protocol supported
> by some specific Linux package(s).  As a newbie, I know about power
> buttons, but not technical alterations to configuration files in the
> event that the installer cannot figure out what to do.
Yes. and that package comes with all versions of debian.  It is
automatically set up by debian-installer.

> > Linux doesn't usually support devices.  It supports chipsets.  Often,
> > multiple device brands use the same chipset type.  For instance, I have
> > Creative Labs integrated sound, but I use the Ensoniq ES1371 driver.
> >
> > I opened up the case and looked at the sound ports with a flashlight,
> > but hotplug and discover (two programs used by debian-installer to
> > detect hardware) are supposed to make that unnecessary.
> >
> > Chances are VERY good the Rocket 133SB uses a standard controller. There
> > is one driver that supports all standard IDE/ATA/SATA controllers.
>
>   It is not a standard IDE controller, in the sense of the usual
> controller chipsets on the motherboards.  We can know this because the
> manufacturer provides binary driver packages on their websites for
> several Linux distributions.  (If the standard "one driver" provided
> with Linux for IDE support worked, those extra packages would be
> unnecessary, I presume.)
One would think that.

> This controller is a PCI card that supports drives larger than 137 GB,
> with its own BIOS so that other OSes which rely on the BIOS for disk
> support can use these larger drives as well.  (I also know that Linux
> does not rely on BIOS support for drive access, but it looks like I
> need a special driver for Linux to use the controller card.)
>   My hope in posting to debian-user was to hear from someone using a
> Rocket 133SB, so they could tell me about their experiences.  Does
> Debian have built-in support?  (I doubt it, but I thought I would ask
> here in case someone who knows would see my message.)  If not, what
> steps should I take to get myself a Debian kernel that can use the
> Rocket controller?

Looking in the 2.6 tree, there are drivers supporting the Highpoint 343,
345, 366, 370, 370A, and 372.

> > Don't worry about it unless the install doesn't work.
>
>   OK.  I was only hoping to hear from someone with this equipment before
> I make the attempt, since I have reason to believe it won't work...
>

> > >   I did download a Sarge netinst CD, as I mentioned before.  I saw the
> > > announcement in August that it would become the new "stable" by 9/15,
> > > but that appears to have been wishful thinking.  If netinst can't figure
> > > out how to use my DSL connection, that CD is useless anyway -- unless
> > > someone can tell me how to finesse it to work with my DSL modem.
> > 1. That is what debian-user is here for.
>
>   And I am grateful for it!
>   I was just looking for tips/hints/advice in advance...
>

> > 2. Try it and see - it could work, and since you backed up your data it
> >    can't mess things up.
>
>   Yep.
>

> > >   I was under the impression that boot floppies are no longer necessary
> > > with boot CDs.  Isn't that so?
> >
> > You are correct.  boot-floppies is only a name.
>
>   So, you meant the "Woody installer" CD, called "boot-floppies", is
> almost impossible to use?  Ouch!  That would be what the HILUX CD has,
> since it an update to "stable" (Woody).  I am going to try that first,
> but you don't make it sound too promising....  (Bummer.)

Not impossible, just rather difficult.  No useful documentation, you
need to know the chipset used by most of your hardware, slow, encourages
you too partition your disk but doesn't tell you how to do it right,
chokes on ISA PNP, etc. YMMV, and probably won't be worse than mine.

--
The world's most effective spam filter:
        ln -sf /dev/full /var/mail/$USER