Re: Newbie first-time install advice: Highpoint Rocket 133SB

Stefan O'Rear wrote:

> Linux autodetects nearly anything.  Non-hardware things like PPPoE (IIRC
> this is used by DSL) can be trickier.  Also, there are Linux-hostile
> hardware vendors out there; be very careful near wireless LAN cards,
> modems, and 3D-accelerated graphics cards. (ATI refuses to support
> Linux, NVidia officially supports Linux but the drivers aren't open
> source.)

  I am glad to hear about the autodetect, but I am a bit worried about
autodetection of my NIC (HP EN1207D-TX) and my video (NVidia Vanta on
motherboard).
  I have a SpeedStream 5100b, which has a built-in router, for DSL.
That is supposed to make things easier, since it handles PPPoE itself.
On the other hand, if I have the slightest problem I will be
stonewalled, since I'm a total newbie.  That's my main reason for
preferring CDs over netinst.  I kept a forum article where someone
explained that I only need something called DHCP to be able to use
Linux; unfortunately, I don't even know what that is (yet).

> Don't usually bother with the manufacturor's website.  Almost everyone
> seems to have been brainwashed into thinking "Red Hat is Linux; Debian
> doesn't exist".
>
> Almost all DSFG-free GPL-compatible drivers come with the kernel;
> non-kernel drivers are contraversial, obscure, proprietary, non (beer)
> free, very new, or some combination of the above.

  I will be able to ignore the Highpoint website only if I can find a
kernel with built-in support for the Rocket 133SB controller.
Otherwise, I will have to use their open source driver code, and then
learn how to compile my own kernel, or use the driver as a kernel
module, from what I've read.  The website has binary packages for 3
other distros, but at least provides source code for the drivers you can
compile yourself.  I was hoping to hear from someone already using a
Rocket 133SB, so that I would know which kernels already support it, or
whether I will be forced to compile the drivers myself... which will be
a bit over my head for a while!
  Not having a kernel with Rocket 133SB support would mean installing
Debian to the old hard drive until I can get a kernel working which can
handle the controller and hard drive.  It's THOSE things that I wish
would autodetect!  And maybe they will, but I won't be able to try for
several more days.

> Sarge will be stable Real Soon Now.

  I did download a Sarge netinst CD, as I mentioned before.  I saw the
announcement in August that it would become the new "stable" by 9/15,
but that appears to have been wishful thinking.  If netinst can't figure
out how to use my DSL connection, that CD is useless anyway -- unless
someone can tell me how to finesse it to work with my DSL modem.

> Woody was frozen in 2001/2. Still gets security updates, but no new
> programs.

  Yes, and when I noticed it couldn't handle the big HD, that's when I
searched and found HILUX.  The only problem is that I don't know if it
supports the Rocket.  I will give it a try, since I don't know how else
to find out whether it will work.

> Do use sarge though. The Woody installer ('boot-floppies') is nearly
> impossible to use.

  I was under the impression that boot floppies are no longer necessary
with boot CDs.  Isn't that so?

Thanks for the response,
Dave W.