Re: ccing

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 07:13:41PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > A little pricier if you have to replace your entire machine to gat over
> > the 48Meg limit because they don't make mamory that old any more.
>
>     Hrmmm, how old would that be?  Just got some sticks of PC133 off of ebay a
> few weeks back.  $70 for 512Mb.  Are we talking 72pin, 30pin?  Yeah, people
> can come up with "Well, what about THIS situation".  Of course they're
> completely ignoring the fact that the discussion in question was whether or
> not *I* wanted to fork over the extra money for RAM to run TBird over mutt.
> *I* would because none of my machines are to the point where I have to worry
> about RAM all that much.  If your machine does and you're unable to get a $200
> Wal-Mart special then, yeah, looking at extending the life of that machine
> which has faithfully served you for well over a decade would be a wise choice.

Actually, there's this obsessive-compulsive psychological problem that makes
it hard to throw out anything that might still be useful.  I have a fast
machine with a gigabyte of RAM as well as the venerable old 48-meg wonder.

The venerable old 48-meg wonder is the most reliable machine in the house,
though.  Some of the newer machines won't even boot, and the fast one
overheats every year or so.  If I'm lucky I catch it before the cpu is burned.
Maybe hanging on to old faithful is not obsessive-compulsive.  Maybe it's
just pragmatic.

-- hendrik