Re: ccing

s. keeling wrote:

Incoming from Paul Scott:
s. keeling wrote:
No offense meant, really. But have you ever tried mutt?
I would use mutt before pine any time but I use Thunderbird because of its 3 panes displaying all of my mailboxes and the headers from the selected mailbox or folder and the current message simultaneously. I
Thanks. We're getting a lot closer. I just tried mutt again on a remote machine I use to teach a "Unix" class and relearned a few things.

I tell mutt to show me a few index lines at the top of the pager
window.
That gets the right two T-bird panes. I can sort the headers by any column with a click and reorganize the indexes.

I also tell it about my mailboxes.
These mailboxes would be equivalent to the 40 (+ another dozen or so previously used) folders where I filter the mail from my three pop accounts.

Anytime I want to see headers, I type "h" (it toggles back abnd forth).
If I understand that then I still have to do something more frequently than I do now.

In other words, I don't need to watch all my mailboxes all the time;
mutt's doing that for me.  If new mail lands in any of them, the next
time I type "c" to change to another folder, mutt offers to go to the
next one in the list that contains new mail.  Hit spacebar and it
offers to go to the next one after that instead.
As you see I have more than 40 of these mailboxes and some of these are from lists that I might not read for a week or even a couple of months. Visually I can pick out the ones with unread mail and use the mouse to pick the one to read next. I am fortunate to have a 19" monitor set at 1280x1024 to make this easy. T-bird remembers many of my last settings for individual mailboxes like index sorted by thread and for a while keeps the threads expanded that I have recently expanded.

does for me.  I am quite open to ideas here.
The following is very helpful. Now I don't have to don't have to go through the whole learning curve that others have before me.

set hdrs=yes

folder-hook .                     save-hook . =%u
folder-hook IN.debian-user        save-hook . =debian-user

mailboxes =IN.debian-user =IN.linux-laptop ...

lists debian-user debian-security ...

subscribe debian-user debian-laptop ...

fcc-hook (debian-user|debian-laptop|spamcop\.net) '/dev/null'

set edit_headers

set pager_index_lines=8

Thanks for all your input. I've got "The Mutt E-Mail Client" doc open now and I will read some more and try some of this. I think I am equally at home in both GUI and text-based worlds and I think this may be a case where a quite good GUI email client like Thunderbird is going to win out overall over mutt at least on a larger sized screen. Maybe if mutt could simultaneously show more of it's views for X's sake it would be the total winner since graphics by itself are not needed and are extra overhead for reading plain-text email.

Thanks again for all your help,

Paul