Re: ccing

s. keeling wrote:
> I use a GUI almost all the time; X Window.  And yes, I do have
> multiple XTerms on it.  That's still a lot lighter than some of the
> multi-megabyte MUAs we're seeing these days.  Consider the cost of
> that one feature you're hoping to satisfy that you think mutt can't
> provide.  Is that _really_ worth the cost in RAM, disk, and your time?
> If so, by all means, fire away.

    Hmmm, let's take this argument and run with it, shall we?

    Cost of a stick of 512Mb PC2700 RAM (what I us in my gaming rig)...  about
$100.  Thunderbird's footprint, 58Mb.  Mutt, 5Mb.  Numer of times my machine's
grown out of the 512Mb of RAM it has (different machine, not PC2700 but, hey,
only price I knew off the top of my head).... never.  So total cost of enough
RAM for TBird.... $100 if I wanted to really go high.  Less since I could
probably deal with 256Mb comfortably.

    My average salary over the past 3 jobs which were email intensive:
$40k/year.  Breaks down to $20/hour.  That means if the change saves me just 5
hours per year it breaks even.  Does it?  I dunno.  I'm not about to try to
calculate it out.  But that one feature does save me time so, yeah, it's going
to break even and eventually earn a profit.

    One of the most common mistakes geeks make when doing cost analysis or
attempting to use it as a benchmark for whether some program or another should
be used.  The most expensive part of the equation is the geek's time.  A
couple hundred dollars on another stick of RAM will pretty much always end up
being cheaper than the time lost by not having that stick in there.