Re: Massive increase of spam on debian-*@l.d.o

on Thu, May 06, 2004 at 02:03:02PM -0700, Steve Lamb (grey@dmiyu.org) wrote:
> Adam Aube wrote:
> > Unfortunately, blacklisting is a much more realistic solution than
> > wholesale user education, so yes, blacklisting such providers is
> > probably the only workable solution.
>
>     Unfortunately the reality is unless the blacklisted each other it
> wouldn't work.  If we blacklist them and mail fails to get through what's
> the reaction of their users?  "Fix your problem, our ISP is fine because
> it's bigger."

Take a look at RIMA-TDE.  That's the Spanish telecom, a grossly
mismanaged national ISP.

As with Wanadoo (another massive and massivly mismanaged major EU ISP),
RIMA-TDE has developed a reputation for doing nothing (other than
bouncing) abuse requests.

It's now got the choice to make between cleaning up its own act or
having a large number of peering nets clean up its act for it.  By
dropping all traffic.

IDP has worked in the past.  It still works.

Peace.

    Save Bob Edwards!       http://www.savebobedwards.com/