Re: Massive increase of spam on debian-*@l.d.o

on Thu, May 06, 2004 at 02:52:31PM -0700, Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) wrote:
> "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> writes:
>
> > It reports spam to the usual suspects.  Starting with postmaster/abuse
> > addresses, if known.  Then IP / domain WHOIS contacts, abuse.net
> > contacts, and the like.  You can create a list of undeliverable contacts
> > not to try (I post same to news.admin.net-abuse.email, aka NANAE).  It
> > posts a notice with information on the offending IP to
> > news.admin.net-abuse.sightings, which may be of use to various parties.
> >
> >     http://linuxmafia.com/~karsten/Download/SpamTools.tar.gz
>
> Do you intend to package?

Not before it does significantly better at handling edge conditions than
it currently does.

I developed this for my own personal use.  I'm interested in feedback
and/or fixes.  I'd consider this about 0.2 level software.  It mostly
works to do a basic task.  It needs babysitting.  It can be used
maliciously.  It makes my initial task easier.

I wouldn't consider packaging for broader distribution util it:

  - Runs without babysitting.

  - Intelligently avoids mailing list LARTs.

  - Has better back-end response datagathering capabilities (bounces).

  - Has some rudimentary abuse avoidance mitigation.

  - Has integrated logging (currently it's based on piping stdout to an
    arbitrary file).

  - Is generalized for mailbox format (which probably requires rewriting
    in A Real Language).

I'd also like it to have better tools for RFC-Ignorant submissions for
postmaster / abuse / whois / ipwhois categories.

Peace.

    The support contract said RHEL 3.0 or better, so I installed Debian
    - Peter Samuelson