Re: Massive increase of spam on debian-*@l.d.o

On Wednesday 05 May 2004 09:40, William Ballard wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 01:29:23AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > You're part of the answer.  You have apparently picked B when the
> > correct answer is C.
> Actually, not really.  None of this spam is addressed directly to me.
> I'm not getting any spam you're not getting either, so you're already
> reporting all that I'm getting.

Most service providers have thousands of customers.  Many of the relays
spam originate from are machines infected with trojans or misconfigured
MTAs.  It is not in the interest of a business to go cutting their
customers off as it looses them money.  Therefore, one complaint against
one IP makes little difference to them, several hundred complaints can
make lots.

Just my 2p.

David