No access but root

I recently installed Debian 3.0r2 on  586 system..

recently, I don't know why.. only root can login through ssh..

I am using proftpd, for ftp but that means i can't login as root with ftp.. or any other account..

I am also using webmin.. and created a user using webmin.. using virtualmin 1.4.0 to be exact...

I don't know why this is happening.. I have upgradated and upgraded the system.. using apt-get

I am also seeking some help on linuxforum, I explained my problem there also.. but people do not seem to be able to pinpoint to why this is happening.. (http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=71259)

after logging in as root, I did this sample run to show other weird issues I am having ..
checkout this session...

-----------
mail:/usr/local/bin# whoami
root
mail:/usr/local/bin# su paul
bash: /etc/bash.bashrc: Permission denied
I have no name!@mail:/usr/local/bin$ su test
Password:
bash: /etc/bash.bashrc: Permission denied
I have no name!@mail:/usr/local/bin$ su paul
Password:
bash: /etc/bash.bashrc: Permission denied
I have no name!@mail:/usr/local/bin$ su angel
Password:
I have no name!@mail:/usr/local/bin$ su paul
Password:
bash: /etc/bash.bashrc: Permission denied
I have no name!@mail:/usr/local/bin$ ls
resinctl sa-learn spamassassin spamc spamd
I have no name!@mail:/usr/local/bin$ cd
I have no name!@mail:~$ pwd
/home/paul
I have no name!@mail:~$ ls
mbox
I have no name!@mail:~$ whoami
whoami: cannot find username for UID 1000
I have no name!@mail:~$

TIA for your help,
Paul