Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:24:09PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
> One way I treated one of the women on this list (you? Emma?) differently
> is like I said earlier; I posted something like "Cool! A woman and she's
> a geek! <slobber slobber slobber>". It was inappropriate, sure, but even
> at that, I _never_ would have posted that in response to a guy's post.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200301/msg04538.html

It wasn't that bad. Take a look at the context. I knocked my own gender in
jest and someone followed suit. Nothing wrong with that (in my mind
anyway). I don't /remember/ ever being offended by the comment. I'm
pretty sure I thought it was funny and typical of many encounters I've had
with male geeks face-to-face. The big difference was that I got the answer
*before* the slobbering and incoherence struck. ;)

Did I send you a rude response off-list or something? I can't remember and
I can't find anything in my outbox. If it's any consolation the email sits
(un-edited) in my "helpful emails about linux partitioning" folder.

As long as there is productive discussion I certainly don't mind people
acknowledging I'm female--especially if I'm going to bring it up first! It
is, after all, who I am! (I'm also willing to admit that I do little dances
and cheer for my students when their code works--especially for the female
students. But I'm only willing to admit to this kind of thing in brackets.)

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]