Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

Monique Y. Herman wrote:

what I should have asked, and
meant to ask, is, *how* would you treat women any differently than men?
Especially when your only medium is the keyboard.
Well, not only me, but everyone else in this thread has allowed this thread to go on quite a while without someone saying "take it to private mail; this has nothing to do with Debian". Ya gotta admit, that's a bit odd. I don't know if it has anything to do with the thread revolving around a woman or not, but I do find it interesting.

One way I treated one of the women on this list (you? Emma?) differently is like I said earlier; I posted something like "Cool! A woman and she's a geek! <slobber slobber slobber>". It was inappropriate, sure, but even at that, I _never_ would have posted that in response to a guy's post.

But beyond something little like that, again, it's not so much that I'd behave differently to a woman online; it's that there'd be an awareness of the woman. For example, even as I type this, a very small part of my brain is wondering if you're blonde or brunette or what; if you're in your late teens or early forties. Another small part of my brain is thinking, "what does it matter?" And then most of my brain is focused on the actual topic at hand. When responding to a male, my brain is focused on the actual topic at hand, and that's about it.

--
Kent