Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

On Thursday 25 March 2004 02:10, Monique Y. Herman shoved this in my mailbox:
> I just saw this in Debian Weekly News issue ten:
>
> <http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2004/debian-vote-200403/msg00067.html>
>
> I guess I just wonder.
>
> I've never found any sort of hostility or difficulty in dealing with any
> technically-oriented online forum; if anything, I've found that some
> people seem to go out of their way to respond to women.
> Any guys have opinions?

When I think about you, it goes a bit like this:

1. Regular poster, knows what she's talking about.
2. Hmm, Monique, that's my mothers name and not very English sounding.
3. She's a girl. Kewl (because that's rare).

The fact that you are female adds a fine layer of respect, just because it's a
rare thing, not in a 'Ooh, she's a woman and she still manages to be a
knowledgeable geek'. That sounds as if, as a woman, it would be nearly
impossible to be a knowledgeable geek, and that is plain bollocks.
However, I have much respect for you because of what you contribute to this
list. Your gender doesn't really have any impact on that.

One of the great things about FLOSS is that you get by on what you do, not
what you look like, the way you dress, the music you like, whatever. I find
that to be an area where FLOSS really sets an example.

As for the 'going out of their way' part. You may post often, but I don't see
a lot of questions, only (possible) answers. So that makes me think twice
about trying to help you, in a 'if she can't fix it...' sort of way.

joost

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify A.S.T.R.I.D.  nv/sa immediately and then delete this e-mail.