Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:24:09PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
One way I treated one of the women on this list (you? Emma?) differently is like I said earlier; I posted something like "Cool! A woman and she's a geek! <slobber slobber slobber>". It was inappropriate, sure, but even at that, I _never_ would have posted that in response to a guy's post.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200301/msg04538.html

It wasn't that bad. Take a look at the context. I knocked my own gender in
jest and someone followed suit. Nothing wrong with that (in my mind
anyway). I don't /remember/ ever being offended by the comment. I'm
pretty sure I thought it was funny and typical of many encounters I've had
with male geeks face-to-face. The big difference was that I got the answer
*before* the slobbering and incoherence struck. ;)
Did I send you a rude response off-list or something?

No; it's just that this whole thread has caused me to question how inappropriate such a response may have been. I may be a politically incorrect throwback to the 60's, but that doesn't mean I don't want to be socially acceptable :-)

--
Kent