Re: Logitech MX310 mouse: Dead extra button?

Nick Welch wrote:
On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 10:01:59PM -0800, Tom wrote:

Wow, that was something I would have never thought of.  However.. no
dice.  xev reports nothing but MotionNotify events, and hexcat'ing the
device produces the same things when I move the mouse, regardless of
whether I'm holding the button or not. :/

You can probably install the Windows DDK and use a firewire or serial cable with the Kernel debugger to learn more. In my experience at M$ it is possible to do most of the things Linux kernel hackers do without any source. Obviously with full .pdb's you get the best stack traces, but M$ releases "stripped pdbs" that give you maybe 80% of what you need.

Hm, I don't have any windows installations, but I've been thinking about
hacking into the linux kernel to check whether this button truly is
silent, or if it's just sending malformed data of some sort.  But then I
run into the weird kernel/hardware problems I've been having lately,
which kinda prevent me from doing any kernel experimentation.  Sigh.  I
should try to work that problem out more and see if I can get it solved,
so I can work on this one. :)

Err.. Woah!

Before I hit send on this message, I decided to plug the mouse into my
NetBSD machine (can't believe I didn't think of that already).  'cat
/dev/wsmouse0', and garbage spews out.  Hit the little middle button
and... garbage!  Woohoo!  So the mouse isn't broken or insanely flawed -
that's GOOD.  Now, to find out why Linux doesn't recognize this button,
and attempt a fix. :D

I noticed that xmod-ing the buttons (to make the wheel works as 4,5 instead of whatever the mouse 'naturally' sends) can have strange consequencies. If you didn't already: try the mouse without using xmod to remap the buttons, or, better yet, without any mouse using software (no X, no gpm etc.). If you still see nothing when you press the problem button it's time for kernel fun (or post to linux kernel mailing list).

You might also get some answers from manufacturer's support, but you'd have to be fairly smart about how to ask questions (they usually don't support linux much but if you leave linux out and ask about protocol or something they might give you some info)

	erik