Logitech MX310 mouse: Dead extra button?

Just got this mouse, and I seem to have a dead button.

The mouse has 8 buttons: the 2 usual buttons, a wheel (i.e. 3 more), one
on either side of the mouse, and one just behind the wheel (image here:
<http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/26-104-136-03.JPG>).  I looked
around and figured out how to get all buttons going in XFree, which
consisted of this in my XF86Config:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "Logitech MX310"
  Driver     "mouse"
  Option     "CorePointer"
  Option     "Device"       "/dev/input/mice"
  Option     "Protocol"     "ExplorerPS/2"
  Option     "Buttons"      "8"
  Option     "ZAxisMapping" "7 8"
EndSection

And then feeding this to xmodmap to swap 4/5 and 7/8 around so the wheel
becomes buttons 4/5 (so it works normally in apps), and the two side
buttons become 7 and 8:

pointer = 1 2 3 7 8 6 4 5

So at this point I have the usual buttons 1 through 5, plus 7 on the
left side and 8 on the right.  However... button 6, the little button
behind the wheel, doesn't work.  xev reports nothing.  Running hexcat on
/dev/input/mice produces nothing whatsoever when pressing this button.

So assuming that the kernel doesn't even seem to know that this button
is being pressed, I'm guessing either:

1. The mouse is extremely funkily designed and only activates that
button when certain conditions are met, i.e. installing their software
in windows.  However, there have been so many lots-o-buttons mice that
work fine under unix-alikes and XFree, that I can't imagine they'd do
that for this one mouse that I decided to buy.  Another possibility is
that it sends really weird things usb when that button is pressed;
things that the kernel doesn't understand and therefore doesn't pass on.

2. My mouse is just broken.

3. I'm missing something really big?  Changing the protocol XFree uses
has no effect, as one would expect.  No matter what, that button is
totally silent..

So.. Anyone out there have this mouse?  It's fairly new, so there's
nothing on google except sites selling it and reviews and things of that
nature.  I would really like to get this button working!  I'm still
pondering what exactly I should bind all of these buttons to. :D

TIA,
--
Nick Welch aka mackstann | mack @ incise.org | http://incise.org
Some don't prefer the pursuit of happiness to the happiness of pursuit.