Re: Logitech MX310 mouse: Dead extra button?

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:44:09PM -0600, Nick Welch wrote:
> > Does xev report anything if you press and hold the button and drag the
> > mouse?  My guess is that the mouse might have some EmulateWheel logic
> > built-in.  So that holding that button down and moving the mouse up/down
> > (and maybe even left/right) is like rolling the wheel up/down (or
> > clicking buttons 6 and 7, or something).
>
> Wow, that was something I would have never thought of.  However.. no
> dice.  xev reports nothing but MotionNotify events, and hexcat'ing the
> device produces the same things when I move the mouse, regardless of
> whether I'm holding the button or not. :/

You can probably install the Windows DDK and use a firewire or serial
cable with the Kernel debugger to learn more.  In my experience at M$ it
is possible to do most of the things Linux kernel hackers do without any
source.  Obviously with full .pdb's you get the best stack traces, but
M$ releases "stripped pdbs" that give you maybe 80% of what you need.