Re: simply mutt (Re: Mutt with evolution)

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 16:25, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 11:50:58AM +0530, Ashish Ariga wrote:

> > 1. Periodic checking for pop mail ("fetch-mail") doesn't work in spite
> > of pop_* being set. Should I set spoolfile to pop:// instead ?
> >
> configure fetchmail separately from mutt, and setup mutt to look for
> incoming mail in the standard location: /var/spool/mail/<username> ,
> and configure it to run periodically. I use fetchmailconf to do this,
> but fetchmailconf does nasty things under sarge on my system, be warned
> if you are using sarge (and maybe sid, not know, i'm to timid to try)
>
> other ways may work as well or better, but my impression is that mutt is
> supposed to be a simple mail reader, not a means of controling other
> aspects of the mail delivery chain.

Alternatively you could bind the f12 key to fetchmail as I have:
macro index <f12> "!fetchmail\n"

fetchmailconf is working fine in sid (used it yesterday).

For running fetchmail periodically I am using gnome's inbox monitor
applet (execute fetchmail before each update). I prefer not to use the
daemon method (/etc/fetchmailrc) as this method allows running fetchmail
manually without becoming root. crontab is good too (crontab -u).