Re: simply mutt (Re: Mutt with evolution)

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:52:40 +0100, duck <debian-user@dizzyduck.uklinux.net>
penned:

> For running fetchmail periodically I am using gnome's inbox monitor applet
> (execute fetchmail before each update). I prefer not to use the daemon
> method (/etc/fetchmailrc) as this method allows running fetchmail manually
> without becoming root. crontab is good too (crontab -u).

You don't have to be root to run fetchmail in daemon mode.  Just run
    fetchmail -d <seconds>
as a regular user.  I used to have it in my login script, I think.
It will use ~/.fetchmailrc , and fetchmail won't let you run it unless
you lock down the permissions on that file.

Personally, I prefer a cron job anyway.  I had some problems several
years ago where the fetchmail daemon seemed to go out to lunch ... I
never bothered to track it down; just started using cron and all is
well.

--
monique
Please respond to the group OR to my email, but not both.  (Group preferred.)