Re: weather and boats (even more OT) (was [OT: Elfquest])

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 15:43, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:18:29PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> | >
> | > My favourite weather, of which I have been feeling a severe lack
> | > recently...
> |
> | The only type of persons I have met which really liked this kind of
> | weather (like I do and, apparently, you do too) are people who sail a
> | lot. You don't happen to be one of those people, do you?
>
> I, too, love a good wind (or just a nice breeze) and hate stale air.
> (that's probably one of the reasons I rather dislike air conditioning,
> the other being that most establishments set the temperature to that
> reminisicent of winter while the weather outside is pleasant)

Well I'll agree with the desire for a fresh breeze though I always thought it
meant "Just started or building". A good example might be the on shore that
builds each afternoon. I thought fresh then was meaning new

> I enjoy sailing and have a small boat which I need to fix[1] sometime
> soon so I can take my friends out on it :-).  Did you know that a hull
> made out of styrofoam (no fiberglass coating) can last a good two
> decades or so[2]?  Kayaking is fun too, especially if the wind isn't
> so cooperative.

I'm another one though I think I was bitten a bit harder by the sailing bug.

> [1] The rudder was attached by wood screws screwed straight into the
>     styrofoam of the hull.  The last time I had the boat on the water
>     the screws pulled out of the holes.  I need to reattach the rudder
>     in a more durable manner.
>
> [2] The boat was probably a grocery store display advertising
>     Coca-Cola because the sail has an old Coke ad slogan on it and the
>     hull was never coated with fiberglass.  I bought the boat used
>     sometime around 9 years ago (for a whopping $28 USD, though for a
>     kid in middle-school it was a decent amount).  The previous owner
>     obtained it second-hand and had it for ~8 years.  He didn't know
>     any of the boat's prior history.  Not a bad deal at all!  :-D

Yep that's the story all tell when owned by a boat. I have 2. One a sunfish
the other I call my yachtlet (26 foot Grampian). Working on them is constant.

Has anyone found a use for debian while sailing?

You can view one of the boats at the link below.
--
Earl F Hampton
http://hamiii.sytes.net/Sailing/index.html