Re: CPU recommendations *avoid Intel-Shite*

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 11:49:54AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 10:04, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
>
> > Right.  For installation, I used a USB NIC I had on hand.
>
> Interesting...
>
> What brand and model?

Hawking Technologies:
   http://www.hawkingtech.com/prodSpec.php?ProdID=32

It uses the pegasus module.

> > In my case, the USB is ehci-hcd (USB 2.0), and the IDE is ide-mod
> > (and friends).  The following are fairly normal rates for my IDE
> > drive in the system:
>
> What's ide-mod?  I see it as /usr/src/linux/drivers/ide/ide-mod.o, but
> that doesn't tell me much.
>
> When rolling the kernel with a Via KT133 chipset, I chose $ egrep
> "_IDE|_VIA" .config |grep ^CONFIG

I tend to use a pretty stock Debian kernel configuration unless I need
something it doesn't provide.  Even then, I tend to just change what I
need to.  Running the above commands on my kernel's .config yields:

CONFIG_IDE=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDISK=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECS=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEFLOPPY=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEPCI=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_PCI_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y
CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_MODES=y
CONFIG_VIA_RHINE=m
CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_SOUND_VIA82CXXX=m
CONFIG_MIDI_VIA82CXXX=y

But again, this is just a stock Debian kernel configuration, haven't
changed anything in this area.  The only modification to it so far has
been to update the usb scanner drivers.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar