Re: CPU recommendations *avoid Intel-Shite*

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 05:34, Haralambos Geortgilakis wrote:
> Hi Yall & Ron,
>
> who typed,
>
> <snip>

> >>Runs just fine.  I have two systems (SN41G2 from Shuttle) here based on
> >>the nforce2 chipset and ethernet and audio work just fine.  You don't
> >>have to use nVidia's driver for audio as the intel8x0 alsa driver works
> >>fine (at least on my systems).
> >>

> >Just to verify that I'm not blowing smoke out my arse, what *do* you
> >need the nForce2 binary drivers for?
> >
> <snip>
>
> click hereabouts & have wee read....
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_nforce_1.0-0248

So since Jamin says that audio works fine with the intel8x0 alsa
drivers, the big sticky wicket is the integrated ethernet?

NICs are cheap, and to put one in just for installation is doable,
but should be unnecessary; boards w/ integrated Realtek & Intel
ethernet work perfectly w/ the kernel drivers.

Besides, if there's a bug, you can upgrade to the latest kernel
rev from your distro.  W/ the nForce2, you must wait until they
decide to release.

Another question: "USB and IDE hardware will work with standard
Linux drivers."  Which drivers?  uhci or ohci, and for IDE, which
IDE driver to choose, and what's the oldest kernel that has this
driver?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson |
| An ad currently being run by the NEA (the US's biggest    |
| public school TEACHERS UNION) asks a teenager if he can   |
| find sodium and *chloride* in the periodic table of the   |
| elements.                                                 |
| And they wonder why people think public schools suck...   |