Re: CPU recommendations *avoid Intel-Shite*

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 06:47:18AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> So since Jamin says that audio works fine with the intel8x0 alsa
> drivers, the big sticky wicket is the integrated ethernet?

Yep.

> NICs are cheap, and to put one in just for installation is doable,
> but should be unnecessary; boards w/ integrated Realtek & Intel
> ethernet work perfectly w/ the kernel drivers.

Right.  For installation, I used a USB NIC I had on hand.

> Besides, if there's a bug, you can upgrade to the latest kernel
> rev from your distro.  W/ the nForce2, you must wait until they
> decide to release.

They tend to be fairly repsonsive.  Sure, it's not the same as having
full access to the source code, but then again, I'm not forced to use
the on board NIC.

> Another question: "USB and IDE hardware will work with standard
> Linux drivers."  Which drivers?  uhci or ohci, and for IDE, which
> IDE driver to choose, and what's the oldest kernel that has this
> driver?

In my case, the USB is ehci-hcd (USB 2.0), and the IDE is ide-mod (and
friends).  The following are fairly normal rates for my IDE drive in the
system:

/dev/hda:
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.46 seconds =278.26 MB/sec
  Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.32 seconds = 48.48 MB/sec

I don't know about the "oldest" kernel that has them, but I do know that
installing with the bf24 option (and thus the 2.4.18-bf2.4 image) worked
fine.  I then upgraded to 2.4.20 and have been happy with the system.

If you'd like further information, I'll gladly provide it.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar