Re: next debian stable ?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 09:00:22PM -0500, David Krider wrote:
> nate wrote:
> >Carl Fink said:
> >

> >>Not sure I agree.  I just got a request for version 4 of mysql on a server
> >>I admin.  I have the choice of saying "wait up to forever" or switching to
> >>a version of Debian defined as non-stable.
> >
> >or compile from source
>
> But if you're doing this to support an Apache web server, it gets to be
> a BIG mess very quickly. I've only done a from-source build of Apache,
> MySQL, PHP, and Perl once, and I won't do it again.

A compromise solution: download the debian sources for apache, apply
any patches (if needed), compile, install.  Voila, customisation of
building locally combined with the ease and safety of debian package
management.

  The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that
  they be properly armed.
          -- Alexander Hamilton