Re: next debian stable ?

Chris Kenrick wrote:

> If you want more of an idea than that, have a look at the Debian web
> site.  Debian 3.0 was released July 2002.  Debian 2.2 was released
> August 2000.  So based on that timescale, how does June 2004 sound?
> :)

Terrible. But thanks for asking!

> The typical response to this is "when its done".  Debian being a non
> commercial distro doesn't tend to have fixed release dates, and
> doesn't feel the need to keep up with the Joneses in terms of release
> schedule, or version numbers for that matter.

Well, then "they" ought to get used to the idea of being used by an
increasingly-smaller cross-section of the Linux-using community.

I started the other thread referenced, and some others, that basically
kick this question around. To answer the original poster, when someone
from the Debian community says, "When it's done," they aren't kidding.
They aren't giving you some "line" that upper management has dictated in
order to conceal their plans. I know this is hard to take; at least it's
taken me a long time to swallow. The Debian packagers are working on a
distro in a manner that appeals to their sensibilities. It's just a
group of people with an ideal. Yeah, you can get that impression from
reading the front page of debian.org, but it's really true. There's no
pressure to release on any sort of timeline, and there's no pressure
about what ought to go into the release. The packagers are simply doing
the best that they can with the sources "out there" in the wild.

Speaking of which, in one of the other discussions I was having on this,
someone mentioned that gcc 3.2 and 3.3 have made it into stable (and
indeed they have). They also mentioned that this was holding up a whole
lot of other software from unstable, something like 600 packages. So,
this might be the start of a big migration to get some of the "cooler"
things out of sid and into sarge, which certainly must happen before any
thought of release.

Then again; maybe not.

Regards,
dk