Re: next debian stable ?

On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 14:25, David Krider wrote:
> Chris Kenrick wrote:
>
> > If you want more of an idea than that, have a look at the Debian web
> > site.  Debian 3.0 was released July 2002.  Debian 2.2 was released
> > August 2000.  So based on that timescale, how does June 2004 sound?
> > :)
>
> Terrible. But thanks for asking!
>
> > The typical response to this is "when its done".  Debian being a non
> > commercial distro doesn't tend to have fixed release dates, and
> > doesn't feel the need to keep up with the Joneses in terms of release
> > schedule, or version numbers for that matter.
>
> Well, then "they" ought to get used to the idea of being used by an
> increasingly-smaller cross-section of the Linux-using community.

I think that two years is a perfectly reasonable amount of time between
stable versions.

I think that the difference in opinion is the difference between
"enthusiasts" who enjoy constantly upgrading to the bleeding edge and
admins who want a stable and consistent platform across their systems.

I definitely fall under the enthusiast category for my home system, but
for the systems I admin that have to continue to work, even 6 months is
too frequent for large upgrades.

The current system caters to both groups in my opinion. If you desire
the latest and greatest of all or most software packages, you probably
wouldn't be using stable even if it was only three months old, am I
right? I know many people started complaining about the lack of X 4.2
and KDE 3.1 packages after only a couple of weeks.

I guess my question is does "stable" really matter to you? If so, why?

-Mark