Re: next debian stable ?

Carl Fink said:

> Not sure I agree.  I just got a request for version 4 of mysql on a server
> I admin.  I have the choice of saying "wait up to forever" or switching to
> a version of Debian defined as non-stable.

or compile from source

not sure about mysql 4 but I have been running mysql 3.23.xx compiled
from souce for nearly 2 years now, I just configure it to install to
/usr/local/mysql ..works good. when I upgrade I tar up /usr/local/mysql
and have the system install on top of the old version, if theres
a problem I rm -rf /usr/local/mysql and untar the old one(data files
are usually in another location like /var/mysql or something).

mysql 3.23 at least wasn't a very complicated package to compile from
source. even today I run it from source on my freebsd box(despite
freebsd having the software available in 'ports'). I'm just used to
running it like that :) though no matter what I did I could never
get berkeley db compiled in. always managed to use an incompadible
version..

course mysql 4 could be much more complicated for all I know!

nate