Re: next debian stable ?

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 05:38:49PM -0400, Mark Roach wrote:

> I think that the difference in opinion is the difference between
> "enthusiasts" who enjoy constantly upgrading to the bleeding edge and
> admins who want a stable and consistent platform across their systems.

No, it's between "users" and "system administrators".  Us ordinary users
would like to use, for instance, halfway-modern video players (which require
halfway-modern video cards), or recent versions of Openoffice.org or
Mozilla.

> I definitely fall under the enthusiast category for my home system, but
> for the systems I admin that have to continue to work, even 6 months is
> too frequent for large upgrades.

Not sure I agree.  I just got a request for version 4 of mysql on a server I
admin.  I have the choice of saying "wait up to forever" or switching to a
version of Debian defined as non-stable.
--
Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum