Re[4]: Debian testing system won't boot

nate,

Ok. So I went through init.d and discovered the system reaches a
prompt after I removed, rcS, which runs everything in /etc/rcS.d

So I went into emergency mode and logged in as root, and manually ./
each file in /etc/rcS.d to see if I could recreate the error, nothing
produced an error. I "exit" from being root, and then it executes the
rest of init.d and then takes me to a normal login prompt. I enter
my username, hit enter, and then the message "XD: Loaded as module"
pops up, I enter my pw and it displays the default "welcome" text, but
then immediately kicks me back out to the login prompt.

I reboot and it takes me to an emergency prompt like login, without me
doing anything. I try to login and it boots me back out immediately to
a login prompt. I reboot again and this time engage emergency mode,
and it again prompts me to login and then kicks me out again.

Thus, now I cannot even get to a prompt (to my knowledge).

Network connectivity was not operational, ifconfig reported an error,
which I cannot recall, and cannot reproduce since I can't reach the
command line.

I'm beginning to feel I should just find a new HD, create a new
system, and salvage what I can (Of course I don't have a daily backup).
The frustrating part is that I don't know how/why this all occurred.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
--Sean

n> Sean Abrahams said:
>> **The last mail was accidentally sent in the middle of typing**

n> ahh ok!

>> mount: / is busy

n> you have a filesystem mounted on the system that needs to be
n> unmounted first(most likely anyways), run 'mount' and be sure
n> any filesystems are not mounted (e.g. /usr /var /home etc, /proc
n> can be mounted though it won't cause that error)

>> So I rebooted, but the same problem came up. The PPP lines still
>> showed up and it halts afterward.

n> try removing scripts after the ppp ones, scripts are executed in
n> alphabetical order. /etc/rc2.d is probably the place you need to
n> look in, what all is in there?

>> I was checking my syslog and found a few interesting items at the end:
>>
>> """
>> Apr 15 16:33:56 compname init: Switching to runlevel: 6
>> Apr 15 16:34:59 compname postgres[384]: [1] DEBUG: smart shutdown request
>> Apr 15 16:34:59 compname postgres[7645]: [2] DEBUG: shutting down
>> Apr 15 16:34:01 compname postgres[7645]: [3] DEBUG: database system is
>> shut down
>> Apr 15 16:34:02 compname modprobe: modeprobe: Can't locate module
>> char-major-10-135
>> Apr 15 16:34:03 compname named[338]: named shutting down
>>
>> [snip common stuff]
>>
>> Apr 15 16:34:03 compname kernel: Kernel logging (proc) stopped.
>> Apr 15 16:34:03 compname kernel: Kernel log daemon terminating.
>> Apr 15 16:34:03 compname exiting on signal 15

n> this looks like the system is rebooting.

>> """
>>
>> I wasn't anywhere near the machine at the time these events occurred, and
>> am the only one with access to the machine. Could someone have gained
>> access, and caused the above syslog lines?

n> I suppose anything is possible but the above lines don't look unusual
n> unless the system didn't actually reboot at that time, OR the system
n> didn't go to runlevel 1 at that time..

>> Nonetheless, there's no ppp entry in /etc/rc2.d and I don't quite know
>> what to do next. (How to find what is causing the system to halt after
>> PPP) Should I look at the order of files in init.d?

n> in /etc/rc2.d ..or PERHAPS in /etc/rcS.d ..though I've never had
n> any problems with scripts in rcS.d

n> also, does the system freeze? as in hard lockup? can you hit num lock
n> or caps lock and does the system respond? can you CTRL-ALT-DELETE and
n> have it reboot? Or not?

>> Thanks again for your help.

n> sure no prob

n> nate