Debian testing system won't boot

I came in today and found my Debian test server (2.2.17-reiserfs) to
be down, so I rebooted and now it won't fully boot.

It stops booting after the lines:

"
PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
PPP line discipline registered.
"

The thing is I don't need PPP; I don't even have a modem installed on
the machine. Here are some other messages I found that might be
important.

"
ReiserFS version 3.5.28
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 128k freed
INIT: version 2.84 booting
Activating swap.
Adding Swap: 144544k swap-space (priority -1)
insmod: insmod: a module named af_packet already exists
insmod: insmod: insmod net-pf-17 failed
uname uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)
device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP: version 2.3.7 (demand dialling)
PPP line discipline registered.
"

then nothing.

The machine has run perfect for over a year, with probably 6+ months
of uptime until this happened.

I've been able to "linux emergency" from the Lilo boot: prompt, and I
can access the filesystem but in readonly mode. Not to mention I don't
even know how to go about fixing what is wrong with the system, since
I don't even know what's wrong.

Hoping someone can help me, because I really need my system up.

Thank You,
--Sean