Re: Debian testing system won't boot

Sean Abrahams said:

> The thing is I don't need PPP; I don't even have a modem installed on the
> machine. Here are some other messages I found that might be
> important.

if you can get to single user mode (linux emergency you said did it)
you can try this:

mount / -o remount,rw
(then mount any other filesystems like /var and /usr if they are on
different filesystems unless everything is on / )

then I would remove ppp:

apt-get remove ppp

or just disable it

update-rc.d -f ppp remove

see if that helps, unless the problem is comming from something after
ppp loads, in which case whatever script it is seems to be hanging before
it gets to print any output, if it still hangs then try to remove other
services that come after ppp in /etc/rc2.d with the update-rc.d command
as above.

once done, unmount your /var and /usr and any other partitions you
mounted and remount / readonly:

mount / -o remount,ro

and reboot(depending on what "mode" your in depends on whether or not
you need to reboot or just hit init 2, if you try the init 2 route
then you need to remount everything read-write again). I reccomend
rebooting, sometimes going the init 2 route the system may hang
(e.g. if your booted with init=/bin/bash not sure what linux emergency
calls to get you to a prompt).

nate