Re: Debian testing system won't boot

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 05:50:21PM -0700, Sean Abrahams wrote:
> I'm beginning to feel I should just find a new HD, create a new
> system, and salvage what I can (Of course I don't have a daily backup).
> The frustrating part is that I don't know how/why this all occurred.
>
> Any other ideas?

This has probably nothing to do with it, but have you tried checking
to make sure you have free space on the hdd (df -h) and free inodes
(df -i) on the hdd.  I've seen some wacked errors resulting from both
before.

Seriously though, I'd hunt down a copy of tomsrtbt or knoppix, boot
from that, fsck all the drives, do a surface scan, then defrag them.
Under tomsrtbt, it might be possible to chroot the filesystems, and
reinstall the kernel from a .deb (I've done something similiar with
lilo before, but I'm not sure if a kernel would cleanly install - but
at least you could get a list of packages to install again with dpkg:

	=== Backing Up With dpkg on Debian ===
	Based on Info posted by Genom on Slashdot

	This method allows an easy reinstall of all packages on the system.

	Backing Up:
	        dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt

	Restoration:
	        dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt
	        apt-get -u dselect-upgrade

Wish you luck.

--
        ...crying "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"... ~ HPL
 icq : 34583382              |     === ascii ribbon campaign ===