Re: Chinese input

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:31:24 -0800
Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

> Did you create locale from root?
>
>  # dpkg-reconfigure locales

Thanks Osamu, that solved the locale problem. The situation is improved now, but I'm still not quite out of the woods yet. This is what I get:

   bob@sonic:~$  xcinterm-big5
   XCIN (Chinese XIM server) version 2.5.3-pre2.
   (module ver: 20010918, syscin ver: 20000210).
   (use "-h" option for help)

   xcin: locale "zh_TW.Big5" encoding "big5"
   zh_TW.Big5,zh_TW
   xcin: XIM server "xcin" transport "X/"
   xcin: inp_styles: Root OverTheSpot
   /usr/bin/crxvt -fm "taipei16" -fn "-sony-*-16-*-iso8859-1" -im "xcin" -bg black
   -fg white -geometry +0+0 -T "rxvt Chinese terminal (xcin, zh_TW.Big5)"
  bob@sonic:~$ /usr/bin/xcinterm-big5: /usr/bin/crxvt: No such file or directory

If I understand the error message correctly, there should be a file named /usr/bin/crxvt, but there is no such file. I can't find any package in the Debian package list with a name like crxvt (which I assume means "Chinese rxvt").

Despite the error message, a box pops up on my screen with the Chinese characters "yinshu banxing", but I can't see any way to use it to input Chinese characters.

I'm think I'm getting close, but hoping that somebody can supply the missing link.

regards,
Robert