Re: Netinstall - nothing works?

Klaus Imgrund wrote:
Ok - found the problem but have no idea what goes wrong.
There are only 11 mb on the cd after burning it - iso is 38 mb.
I did burn it with k3b and after that tried with cdrecord.
Both show that they burn 38 mb but they don't.
If I burn the boot.iso instead of the bootbf2.4.iso everything is fine
except that I couldn't install on reiser with it.
Anybody has an idea what is wrong here?

Klaus

Sounds like something is going wrong in the burning process. Dunno what, and it is extremely puzzling since you can burn other "working" isos without problems.

I just d/l both isos and mounted them via the "loop" function and they both seem OK from visual inspection. Both seem to give you a "base" system, that should allow you to work from there. I cannot burn them since my Burner quit on me a couple of weeks ago. You can mount the d/l iso file with the command " mount -t iso9660 -o loop [file.iso] [mount-point]". Here is what I used: " mount -t iso9660 -o loop /root/bootbf2.4.iso /mnt/bf24-iso/" where the "bf24-iso" is an empty directory under /mnt that I created. If you want to chase this down, you can try mounting the iso file and comparing it with what is getting burned.

Probably the quickest way to get to where you want is to break the install process into a series of smaller steps:
1.  Install a base system with the "boot.iso" CD
2.  Upgrade to the 2.4.XX kernel you want
3.  Change to the Reiserfs after the above.

If your "boot.iso" CD is working OK, just go ahead and install with that. You really don't need your NIC for anything until after you reboot for the second phase of the install. Everything you need to get a running system is on the CD. When it installs the drivers be sure to manually "install" your NIC driver. I am sure the SIS900 driver module is present in the 2.2.X kernels, but it is compiled as a module. As you will probably wind up with a 2.2.X kernel with this iso, I really don't know if it supports Reiserfs or not. You will know rather quickly if it does at the start of the partitioning screens during the initial part of the install. If you are not offered a Reiserfs "option" just choose the ext2 fs and you can convert to Reiserfs after you have a running system. You can also upgrade to a 2.4.XX kernel via apt-get after you get your NIC up & running.

HTH,

-Don Spoon-