Re: [unstable] terrible gnome 2.2 performance problems

On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 03:52:41AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:

> Have you tried turning off the anti-aliased fonts stuff? I have a
> wimpy[1] 850 mhz transeta crusoe machine, and the anti-aliased fonts,
> besides looking nasty and blurry on the LCD, made the very few gnome
> apps (abiword, celestia, gnucash) that I use dog-slow. Opening menus was
> one particularly slow thing, it could not keep up with my mousing
> ability to draw the menus, which is just disgusting.

I have an LCD as well.  When I first fired up gnome2 it looked
*horrible*  the anti-aliasing was nowhere near as nice as what I was
used to with qt.  However, experimenting with the settings did the
trick.  Fonts are absolutely sharp now.

Desktop_Preferences->fonts->subpixel smoothing on
->details->
smoothing:subpixel
Hinting:Full
Subpixel order: RGB (No idea WTF this means)

I've also removed any references to 75dpi fonts in my fontconfig, and
added the truetype fonts from the msttcorefonts deb as the first choice.
I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the quality I'm getting.

As a point of reference, I don't have any performance issues here
(except a bit of lag when switching virtual desktops)  My hardware is
nice enough, but far from top-o-the-line (tbird 1.2, geforce2)

I don't want folks giving up on AA fonts because they look like crap out
of the box.

-troy