Re: Netinstall - nothing works?

  The only other suggestion is to make the "rescue" and "root"
> bf2.4 Woody boot floppies and boot from them.  Once you get to the
> start of the install, then you can use the CDs (if they are good) for
> the install of the base system or go straight to the netinstall.

I don't have a floppy drive.Unfortunately this isn't a option.

> > I did create the reiser partitions with a 2.4.20 kernel but as you
> > said- partitions don't even get mounted where I get stuck.
> >
> > Just to make sure I didn't screw up something with the ISO I burned
> > a gentoo install CD and that boots just fine and finds all the
> > hardware.
> >
> > Real strange!
>
> Are you using the "Boot from CDROM" option in the BIOS, or are you
> booting from some other method to start the boot process?  Care to
> share your boot proceedures?  Maybe there is something there.  I have
> a couple of machines here that just won't boot from the BIOS, and I
> have to use floppies to get it started, then switch to the CDROMs when
> asked.  What sort of machine is this??  I should have asked that
> earlier... I am only familiar with i386 and some Dec Alpha methods to
> get Debian running...

I do use the cdrom as the first boot option and it normally works fine.
I did d/l burn and try the gentoo CD just to make sure that I don't
screw up something with the burning or the boot process and it worked
fine.Did install mandrake yesterday and that went w/o any trouble
either.It's a i386 with a sis chipset - nothing special.
Strange things are that:
old potato cd boots fine
testing cd boots fine
had the same error a while back with Knoppix

I'll probably try something like throwing the archives on a prtition and
chroot over there.Never tried that with debian though.

BTW - just for the archive:

There is a module for sis900 on the 'testing cd'.
Problem is that when you choose netinstall at boot it doesn't get
loaded - now that makes sense.Doesn't it?
If you do default install and load all the modules a couple of times it
will be there but the installer won't be able to load it with modprobe.
You need to open a console and do insmod sis900.Thats as far as I got.
Dhcp configuration didn't work for me.

Klaus