Re: More detailed post ...

On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 02:38:25PM -0500, Fred Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 02:50, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > This isn't standard, nor is it a good idea.  (Yahoo Groups is the only
> > place I know of that still uses it).
>
> mailman and ezmlm both do this.  i'm not sure if it is the default, or
> it is just the case on the mailing lists that i'm subscribed to.

No clue on ezmlm, but Mailman does not set Reply-To: by default.  (My
first exposure to this issue was, in fact, a debate on the
Mailman-Users list started by a suggestion that this default be
changed.)

> i hadn't read that, and it brings up a number of points I hadn't
> considered, but the majority of them are along the lines of "elm has a
> reply-to-list function, so this isn't a problem". however, it is a
> problem in many (popular) mailers which don't have a reply-to-list
> function.

My primary argument against setting Reply-To: for list mail has
nothing to do with whether MUAs have reply-to-list functions or not:

Accidentally sending a private reply to the list will be harmful
(both in terms of resource consumption and potential embarrassment)
far more frequently than accidentally sending a list reply privately.
The default behaviour should, therefore, be to reply privately, so as
to minimize the damage caused by errors.

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that