Re: More detailed post ...

On Mon, 2003-02-10 at 02:50, Paul Johnson wrote:

> This isn't standard, nor is it a good idea.  (Yahoo Groups is the only
> place I know of that still uses it).

mailman and ezmlm both do this.  i'm not sure if it is the default, or
it is just the case on the mailing lists that i'm subscribed to.

i hadn't read that, and it brings up a number of points I hadn't
considered, but the majority of them are along the lines of "elm has a
reply-to-list function, so this isn't a problem". however, it is a
problem in many (popular) mailers which don't have a reply-to-list
function.

> Instead of breaking the list, you should either switch to a mailer
> that supports replying to mailing lists, or bitch at your current
> vendor to fix it.  Mailing lists have been around for, what, 30+ years
> now?  Missing a reply-to-list function should definately be considered
> a bug by now.  Treat it as such.

my mailer has a reply-to-list function, so i don't need to complain to
my vendor.  someone should complain to mozilla, netscape and microsoft
though, since their mail software doesn't support this function.

> > mutt does this, netscape/mozilla does this and evolution does this.
>
> Mutt does not do this.

mutt apparently has a reply-to-list function that i was unaware of. (g,
instead of r)

> > if you are going to be complaining to anyone, you should complain to
> > whomever runs lists.debian.org, not to the people who accidentially (or
> > unknowingly) send a "reply to all" whenever they post to this list.
>
> No.  The list is behaving properly.  Deal.

i'm fine with that, but i don't see a point in berating people whose
mailers make it difficult to reply to the list.

i'm sorry if i've upset some people with my suggestions, i was unaware
that this had previously been discussed.

-Fred
--
Fred Smith <fps@dividedsky.net>
http://dividedsky.net/