Re: vi temporary files remaining in dir

Joris Huizer sez:
} I hope someone can help on this problem I have: each
} time I edit a file using VIM, " Vi IMproved 6.1 (2002
} Mar 24, compiled Apr 14 2002 20:41:29)" I get a
} "temporary" copy of the original file.
}
} The naming is as follows: when I edit, say, trash.txt,
} the "temporary" copy is named trash.txt~
}
} I searched the web on the keywords: 'vi temporary
} files debian' but it didn't help anything

This is neither debian-specific, nor are they temporary files. You are
seeing backup files.

} Can anybody tell me what might be causing the problem
} ? I think this problem started after installing a gtk
} version (to be able to run gvim - but I don't really
} use that anyway)

It also isn't a problem, it is a configuration option. Add the following
line to your .vimrc and you shouldn't see any more backup files:

set nobackup

} Thanks for any help,
} Joris
--Greg