Re[2]: [despammed] Re: odd networking problem

Monday, October 7, 2002, 8:53:50 PM, debian-user@lists.debian.org (debian-user) wrote:

Stephen> This one time, at band camp, Ed McMan said:

>> Argh.  Now I'm just more confused.  OK, tethereal picks up the pings
>> leaving the machine.  So, that means there must be some kind of queue
>> or rate limiter blocking it as the router never receives it.  That, or
>> the switch is evil and blocks frames coming from that machine while in
>> Linux ;)  Now, what kind of rate limiter/queuer could be blocking it?

Stephen> I'm betting on rate limiting in an ipchains firewall on the router,
Stephen> unless you reset your rules before the ethereal test.  Maybe you can
Stephen> post a link to your ruleset?  I know iptables better than ipchains, but
Stephen> even if I can't help, I'm sure somebody can.

Stephen> Also, what is the problem in terms of functionality?  I missed the
Stephen> beginning of this thread, so I'm trying to fill in the backstory.  Also,
Stephen> what happens with other boxes on the LAN pinging the router?  Do these
Stephen> pings silently disappear as well?

Stephen> Hmmm . . . still thinking.  This one is difficult.
Stephen> Steve

There is no rate limiting that I am aware of.  I am using pmfirewall.
All other hosts work fine (including this one when in Windows!).

Now, this host can access the Lan without problem.  I can SSH and scp
all I want without problem.  However, once I need to go out to the
Internet stuff stops working.  Only a few packets will go through, and
then the connection stalls.

| Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@despammed.com> http://www.m00.net |
| AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 MSN:edmcman@^  |
|  "We Trills have an expression--at forty, you think you     |
|  know everything. At four hundred, you realize you know     |
|           nothing." - Dax, Star Trek Deep Space 9           |