odd networking problem

I am having a very odd network problem, and I can't figure out the
problem.  Here is a description of my network:

(cable modem)
-
(linux box as router running debian of course ;))
- switch
(misc workstations)

The router machine is running fine.  I just recently installed Debian
on a workstation however, and I'm getting the problem on that machine.

It's a Asus a7v133 running an athlon 1.4ghz
It has two network cards in it, eth0 is a SMC card that is not in use
(8139too driver),
and eth1 is a netgear card that I am using (natsemi driver).

I have no problem at all communicating with hosts inside my subnet.  I
can ping -f, copy files, without (m)any packets being dropped.  Once
this computer needs to use MASQ though, things get whacky.  If I try
to communicate with another host, a few packets will be sent back and
forth, and then no more are sent.

Here is the weird part.  This computer works fine using the same
configuration in Windows.  All the other computers work fine too.  I
have been trying to figure out what the problem is, so I did some
packet sniffing with ethereal on the router.

I listened for any packets going to or from the debian machine in
question.  I ran ping (some host on the internet) and let it sit.  The
first two pings went through, and then it stopped.  The *really* weird
part is that the machine stopped sending the pings!  Well, the router
wasn't receiving them anyway.  Another oddity is that running
/etc/init.d/networking restart on the workstation would fix the problem, for a few more
packets.  After letting ping sit, another ping would go through about
every five minutes.

I would appreciate any help or ideas.. this one has me stumped!

| Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@despammed.com> http://www.m00.net |
| AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 MSN:edmcman@^  |
|  "We Trills have an expression--at forty, you think you     |
|  know everything. At four hundred, you realize you know     |
|           nothing." - Dax, Star Trek Deep Space 9           |