Re[3]: [despammed] Re: odd networking problem

Monday, October 7, 2002, 7:46:40 PM, debian-user@lists.debian.org (debian-user) wrote:

Stephen>> Firewall on the box in question?  Sounds like something is rate-limiting
Stephen>> the pings, and if the box just stops sending them, it's probably the box
Stephen>> itself, rather than anything past it.
Ed> No firewall.  I thought at first it would be something like.. ugh, I
Ed> forgot the name *again*.  Anyway, some congestion protocol in 2.4,
Ed> however it wasn't enabled.
Stephen>> Other things to try (missed the beginning of this thread):
Stephen>> Look at route -n - do you have more than one gateway?
Ed> Checked that out.  I thought it might be learning some weird route or
Ed> something.  No dice. :(
Stephen>> tcpdump/etheral on the box in question at the same time as on the router
Stephen>> - is the box sending packets that the router never sees?
Ed> I didn't try that.  I'm going to try that now.
Stephen>> pinging hosts on the internal network - does this work OK?  If so, maybe
Stephen>> it really is firewalling on the router.
Ed> Yes, pinging local hosts is fine.  I'm going to turn off the firewall
Ed> on the router and just put up a ipchains -A forward -j masq, just to
Ed> see if it works then.

Ed> I am also going to try doing a hard reboot as Jeff said, I havn't
Ed> tried that.  Thank you both for the help so far, I will let you know
Ed> if anything works ;)

Argh.  Now I'm just more confused.  OK, tethereal picks up the pings
leaving the machine.  So, that means there must be some kind of queue
or rate limiter blocking it as the router never receives it.  That, or
the switch is evil and blocks frames coming from that machine while in
Linux ;)  Now, what kind of rate limiter/queuer could be blocking it?

| Eddie J Schwartz <EdMcMan@despammed.com> http://www.m00.net |
| AIM: The Cypher ICQ: 35576339 YHOO: edmcman2 MSN:edmcman@^  |
|  "We Trills have an expression--at forty, you think you     |
|  know everything. At four hundred, you realize you know     |
|           nothing." - Dax, Star Trek Deep Space 9           |