Re: A question about X 4.2.1-1

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 03:30:07AM +0200, Claudio Bley wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 01:47, Seneca wrote:
> > I just upgraded from X 4.1.0-17 to 4.2.1-1. After the upgrade, I had to
> > remove my .xsession file in order for startx (or logging in with xdm) to
> > work. Is this a bug with X, or is there some other file (or syntax) that
> > I should use instead?
> >
> > My (former) .xsession:
> >
> >   gom -G &
>
> ~/.xsession should not return until you want to end the X session and
> shutdown the X server.
[.xsession]
> AFAIK, it always has been like that - and I'm still using XFree86 4.1.0
> on sarge. So, I really don't know why it worked for you before. See 'man
> Xsession', "DEFAULT STARTUP PROCEDURE", Step 3). Maybe your .xsession
> file never got run before?

Looking at icosagon's (a system still running 4.1.0-17) .xsession, I
know that something unusual was happening. My .xsession on icosagon is:

  gom -G &
  exec selectwm

After commenting out the last line, the same thing that happened to
dodecagon (post upgrade) happened to icosagon. I find it strange that
what I saw on dodecagon did not match what happened on icosagon
(comparing 4.1.0-17 behaviour), but I expect a bit of X-related
strangeness for each new installation (I had an interesting time with
icosagon and the 4.1 xserver, and I can only guess at what will happen
with the next system and X (I'm already fighting a badyear BIOS that is
not recognised as such, a cdrom that I can't figure out the drivers for
(all the likely suspects not being the driver), a pair of unreliable
floppy drives, and a NIC that cannot be used on the network)).

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com