Re: [despammed] Re: odd networking problem

This one time, at band camp, Ed McMan said:
> Stephen>> tcpdump/etheral on the box in question at the same time as on the router
> Stephen>> - is the box sending packets that the router never sees?

> Ed> I didn't try that.  I'm going to try that now.

> Stephen>> pinging hosts on the internal network - does this work OK?  If so, maybe
> Stephen>> it really is firewalling on the router.

> Ed> Yes, pinging local hosts is fine.  I'm going to turn off the firewall
> Ed> on the router and just put up a ipchains -A forward -j masq, just to
> Ed> see if it works then.
>
> Ed> I am also going to try doing a hard reboot as Jeff said, I havn't
> Ed> tried that.  Thank you both for the help so far, I will let you know
> Ed> if anything works ;)
>
> Argh.  Now I'm just more confused.  OK, tethereal picks up the pings
> leaving the machine.  So, that means there must be some kind of queue
> or rate limiter blocking it as the router never receives it.  That, or
> the switch is evil and blocks frames coming from that machine while in
> Linux ;)  Now, what kind of rate limiter/queuer could be blocking it?

I'm betting on rate limiting in an ipchains firewall on the router,
unless you reset your rules before the ethereal test.  Maybe you can
post a link to your ruleset?  I know iptables better than ipchains, but
even if I can't help, I'm sure somebody can.

Also, what is the problem in terms of functionality?  I missed the
beginning of this thread, so I'm trying to fill in the backstory.  Also,
what happens with other boxes on the LAN pinging the router?  Do these
pings silently disappear as well?

Hmmm . . . still thinking.  This one is difficult.
Steve
--
Schapiro's Explanation:
	The grass is always greener on the other side -- but that's