Re: odd networking problem

Ed McMan, 2002-Oct-06 19:22 -0400:
<snip>

> Here is the weird part.  This computer works fine using the same
> configuration in Windows.  All the other computers work fine too.  I
> have been trying to figure out what the problem is, so I did some
> packet sniffing with ethereal on the router.
>
> I listened for any packets going to or from the debian machine in
> question.  I ran ping (some host on the internet) and let it sit.  The
> first two pings went through, and then it stopped.  The *really* weird
> part is that the machine stopped sending the pings!  Well, the router
> wasn't receiving them anyway.  Another oddity is that running
> /etc/init.d/networking restart on the workstation would fix the problem, for a few more
> packets.  After letting ping sit, another ping would go through about
> every five minutes.

This is weird.  A few thoughts...

- are there firewall rules on the router that might be limiting ICMP?

- could system be on a bad switch port? or patch cable?

- are there errors being generated on the eth1 interface,
  e.g. ifconfig eth1 ?  perhaps a bad NIC?

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User