Re: ext3 problem, help please!

Hi, initrd is touchy subject.:)  I like it.  I agree with dman's points
basically with some reservation.

Also some stock kernels (not all) comes ext2 as a part of kernel while
ext3 as a module.  With current initrd script, root is mounted as ext2.

See bug at http://bugs.debian.org/135537

On Fri, Jul 05, 2002 at 12:16:49AM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 11:25:22PM -0500, Lance Simmons wrote:
I see invalid return mail address for Lance.
> | On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 10:20:54PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> |
> | > The provided images supply a fully functional (and necessary) initrd
> | > image.
> |
> | Isn't the initrd only necessary if you're loading necessary capacities
> | of the kernel (such as being able to recognize the filesystem of your
> | root directory!) as modules rather than compiling them into the kernel?
>
> Yes.
>
> | I've always made my own kernel-images; would there be some advantage for
> | me in using an initrd?
>
> No.  (IMO)  I'm not using an initrd either since I just compiled the
> necessary stuff into my custom kernel.  Why make a module if you'll
> always have it loaded anyways?  (the answer is if you want to change
> settings on the fly, eg my NIC or sound, but for the filesystem, etc,
> that isn't necessary)

I use stock debian kernel-image or local version with minimum change.
So even local one uses initrd.

This way, I do not need to recompile kernel when playing with hardware
configuration such as frame-buffer, CDRW (ide-scsi) or ext2.  Much more
flexible with modules.

I remember including too many things as a part of kernel at one point
which ended me up with some error due to its size.

There are few functionalities such as ACPI and magic SYSReq keys which
was left out of stock kernel. This way, I can still use stock kernel
without reconfiguring system when new one comes out and I can wait
recompile it until I have time

> | Or is an initrd something useful only if one uses official
> | kernel-images?
>
> Not "only", but yes, it is useful because now Herbert can make a
> kernel that supports not only the common/standard setup but can also
> support other more esoteric setups by loading the necessary modules
> via the initrd.  That's the real advantage of it.

Yes.  There is a prompt during boot time which gives you chance to do
insmod.  This is good if you add SCSI etc.

> | And what should I read to find out more about this issue?
>
> I don't know.  There's some docs in the kernel-doc package, and google
> should be able to turn up something.

Shameless plug :)
 http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/quick-reference/ch-kernel.en.html
 There is debian specific ext3 upgrade description.

ext3 FAQ
http://people.spoiled.org/jha/ext3-faq.html

 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.