Re: CUPS printing, drivers and ppd's

Bill Spears wrote:
> I've got Woody up and running and now I need to
> understand  a little about printing. I've decided to give
> CUPS a try and I've got the following pkges installed:
> (love that apt-get) cupsys cupsys-bsd cupsys-pstoraster
> cupsomatic-ppd cupsys-driver-gimprint
>
> I'm trying to use the httpd admin (localhost:631/admin).
> According to my understanding, I should have a lot of
> drivers to choose from --I need Lexmark Z52. But the
> admin just shows the 3 or 4 that it comes with.
>
> What am I missing?

I think you have everything that you need... maybe try
restarting the cups server and trying again;
'/etc/init.d/cupsys restart'.

My suspiscion is that cups was installed and more
importantly, *started*, before the cupsomatic-ppd and
gimprint driver sets were installed (not too surprising as
the latter depend on the former I think).

Give that a try and see what happens. :)
--
David P. James
Ottawa, Ontario

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV