Re: ext3 problem, help please!

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 10:20:54PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

> The provided images supply a fully functional (and necessary) initrd
> image.

Isn't the initrd only necessary if you're loading necessary capacities
of the kernel (such as being able to recognize the filesystem of your
root directory!) as modules rather than compiling them into the kernel?
I've always made my own kernel-images; would there be some advantage for
me in using an initrd?  Or is an initrd something useful only if one
uses official kernel-images? And what should I read to find out more
about this issue?

--
 .~.
 /V\   Lance Simmons