Re: ext3 problem, help please!

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 02:58:16PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
| On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:32:31 -0500
| Lance Simmons <lance@lsimmons.net> wrote:
|
| > Did you compile ext3 support directly into the kernel, or is it a
| > module?  It has to be in the kernel itself if the root directory is
| > going to be ext3.
|
| I'm not going to claim to be an ext3 expert, but I can speak from personal
| experience.  And, in my personal experience, ext3 support does _not_ need
| to be compiled into the kernel for the root partition.  I use a stock
| debian kernel image (kernel-image-2.4.16-586):

If it is a module, then it MUST be included in the initrd image so
that the kernel can load it from the ramdisk before it tries to mount
the rootfs.  It is a basic (logical) premise that you must be able to
read the fs before you can mount (read) it, and you must be able to
read the root fs before you can load modules stored on it.  The initrd
thing provides a way for the kernel to load such modules.

-D

--

The wise in heart are called discerning,
and pleasant words promote instruction.

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/