Re: ext3 problem, help please!

On Thu, 4 Jul 2002 14:32:31 -0500
Lance Simmons <lance@lsimmons.net> wrote:

> Did you compile ext3 support directly into the kernel, or is it a
> module?  It has to be in the kernel itself if the root directory is
> going to be ext3.

I'm not going to claim to be an ext3 expert, but I can speak from personal
experience.  And, in my personal experience, ext3 support does _not_ need
to be compiled into the kernel for the root partition.  I use a stock
debian kernel image (kernel-image-2.4.16-586):

:~$ uname -a
Linux jamin-mini 2.4.16-586 #1 Wed Nov 28 08:21:15 EST 2001 i586 unknown

:~$ cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hda6 / ext3 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0

:~$ /sbin/lsmod | grep ext3
ext3                   55296   5 (autoclean)
jbd                    34440   5 (autoclean) [ext3]

I have no difficulty booting my system. Almost all of my systems are
running stock debian kernel images and using the ext3 filesystem for all
data partitions with no problems.

Jamin W. Collins