Re: ext3 problem, help please!

On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 11:25:22PM -0500, Lance Simmons wrote:
| On Thu, Jul 04, 2002 at 10:20:54PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
|
| > The provided images supply a fully functional (and necessary) initrd
| > image.
|
| Isn't the initrd only necessary if you're loading necessary capacities
| of the kernel (such as being able to recognize the filesystem of your
| root directory!) as modules rather than compiling them into the kernel?

Yes.

| I've always made my own kernel-images; would there be some advantage for
| me in using an initrd?

No.  (IMO)  I'm not using an initrd either since I just compiled the
necessary stuff into my custom kernel.  Why make a module if you'll
always have it loaded anyways?  (the answer is if you want to change
settings on the fly, eg my NIC or sound, but for the filesystem, etc,
that isn't necessary)

| Or is an initrd something useful only if one uses official
| kernel-images?

Not "only", but yes, it is useful because now Herbert can make a
kernel that supports not only the common/standard setup but can also
support other more esoteric setups by loading the necessary modules
via the initrd.  That's the real advantage of it.

| And what should I read to find out more about this issue?

I don't know.  There's some docs in the kernel-doc package, and google
should be able to turn up something.

-D

--

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet